One year after being picked to finish 10th in the Big East, the UConn Huskies men’s basketball team finds itself in a different position in the 2011-12 Big East Men’s Basketball Preseason Coaches Poll. They are at the top of it in a tie for first with the Syracuse Orange.
The Huskies ran the table last year in the Big East Tournament and then did the same thing in the NCAA Tournament. And with most of the team returning plus a strong recruiting class that includes Andre Drummond, DeAndre Daniels and Ryan Boatright, the Huskies are primed for another run under the leadership of head coach Jim Calhoun.
Some of the Huskies were also honored by the coaches as part of the Preseason All-Big East Teams.
Sophomore guard Jeremy Lamb was named to the Preseason All-Big East first team while junior center Alex Oriakhi was named to the Preseason All-Big East second team. Sophomore guard Shabazz Napier and freshman Andre Drummond were named to the All-Big East Honorable Mention Team.
Drummond was also the coaches pick for Big East Rookie of the Year.
For a full look at the 2011-12 Big East Preseason Coaches Poll along with the All-Big East Teams, click on the read more button below if you’re on the home page.
|2011-12 Big East Preseason Coaches Poll|
|1. Connecticut (7)||209|
|3. Louisville (3)||201|
|4. Pittsburgh (1)||188|
|7. West Virginia||132|
|9. Notre Dame||114|
|12. St. Johns||71|
|13. Seton Hall||56|
2011-12 BIG EAST Preseason Player of the Year Ashton Gibbs, Pittsburgh
2011-12 BIG EAST Preseason Rookie of the Year Andre Drummond, Connecticut
Preseason All-Big East First Team
- Ashton Gibbs, Sr., Pittsburgh
- Jeremy Lamb, So., UConn
- Darius Johnson-Odom, Sr., Marquette
- Tim Abromaitis, Gr., Notre Dame
- Kris Joseph, Sr., Syracuse
- Kevin Jones, Sr., West Virginia
- Yancy Gates, Sr., Cincinnati
- Alex Oriahki, Jr., UConn
- Peyton Siva, Jr., Louisville
- Scoop Jardine, Sr., Syracuse
- Maalik Wayns, Jr., Villanova
- Andre Drummond, Fr., UConn
- Shabazz Napier, So., UConn
- Cleveland Melvin, So., DePaul
- Jae Crowder, Sr., Marquette
- Augustus Gilchrist, Sr., USF