On Thursday night, the UCONN Lady Huskies beat the Colorado State Rams by the final score of 93-58. There was five Lady Huskies in double figures during the game. Renee Montgomery and Mel Thomas led the way with 19 pts each, Kalana Greene had 17 pts, Tina Charles with 17 pts and Charde Houston added 10 pts.
Colorado State had a fun time getting to Storrs for the game. They were the last flight out of Denver before the blizzard struck there. Of course their flight was delayed causing them to miss their connection at Dulles in Washington, DC. The team then split into two groups with half of them flying into Hartford and the other half into Providence, RI. Those who went to Providence then had to rent cars to get to their final destination. Their day started off at 3:30 am and ended on Wednesday night at 11:30 PM.
Notes and Observations:
- The starters were Montgomery, Thomas, Greene, Charles and Houston.
- Four of the five in double figures did it in the first half. Charde Houston got into double figures early in the second half.
- I didn’t see Kristin Phillips at all. It makes you wonder what is going on with her since she didn’t make the two road trips before final exams.
- Kalana Greene and Tina Charles led the team in rebounds with 8. Mel Thomas added a season high 7 rebounds.
- Mel Thomas shot just under 50% from 3 pt land. She was 5 for 11.
- Free throw shooting for the Huskies was ok tonight. They shot 21 of 32 (66%) from the line. I still think this needs to improve before the Big East schedule starts back up again.
- Geno Auriemma now needs 3 wins to reach 600 in his Hall of Fame career. If the Huskies win their next two games, they should get Coach Geno his 600th win against Sacred Heart on December 31st at the Hartford Civic Center.
- After the game, 10 former UCONN Lady Huskies were honored along with Coach Geno Auriemma into the ‘Huskies of Honor’. They are Kerry Bascom, Rebecca Lobo, Jennifer Rizzotti, Kara Wolters, Nykesha Sales, Sue Bird, Svetlana Abrosimova, Diana Taurasi, Swin Cash and Shea Ralph. Ralph and Abrosimova were not present for the ceremony due to previous commitments. They will be honored at a later time.
- Speaking of crazy trips, Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird had a long trip.
EighteenTen hours in all. They played a game in Moscow last night where they are playing for Spartak Moscow. They then boarded a flight to Storrs where they arrived just after the second half started.
- The best line heard during the ceremony. When Diana Taurasi was speaking to the crowd she had mentioned that Coach Auriemma had lost some weight. So when Geno was speaking he made mention that yes he had lost some weight and then told Diana to look behind her because thats where it went. Just Geno being Geno with Diana and always having that last word.
With the win, the Lady Huskies move to 8-0 on the season. The next victim for the Huskies is Oakland (MI) University at 12:00 noon at the Hartford Civic Center on Saturday.