OK this was emailed to me just before. You have to look at the ESPN box score from today’s UCONN women’s game and the official box score from the game. Instead of making you find the errors on the page, I have put arrows next to them. But first let’s take a look at the official box score of the game. If you click on the pictures, they will open up in a new window so you can see them clearly.
Now that you have looked at the official box score. Look at the ESPN.com boxscore. I will explain each error after the picture.
- Kristin Phillips no longer is a member of the UCONN team. She has not been around the team since early December.
- Since Kristin Phillips is no longer a member of the team, how could she have scored 5 points.
- Ketia Swanier did not start the game today for the Huskies. In fact, she hasn’t a started a game all year. Charde Houston was the starter today as she was all day today.
- Look back at the official box score. Kalana Greene scored 14 points today. Now look at the ESPN one. She scored 12. I wonder which one is right. Just kidding.
- Now the final error, look at the final point totals for the players on the ESPN one. It says 84. But when you add it up, it adds up to 87. 19+15=34+15=49+12=61+6=67+20 points from the bench=87. Ok since Kristin Phillips doesn’t play for UCONN anymore take away her 5 points, 87-5=82. Now add the missing 2 points from Kalana Greene, 82+2=84.
Now I don’t normally look for things like this. Sometimes I do notice things like this or I have someone email me or instant message me with a tip like this. To me on a major website, this is inexcusable. It has since been corrected by the time this was posted due to me watching the Patriots game right now.
Update: Look at the play by play of the game over at ESPN.com. Kristin Phillips scored 2 of her points at the 19:00 mark. And if you read the whole thing, you will see those are the only “two points she scored,” yet “she scored 5 points according to the original box score.” Click here to see that.