By Brian Ring

Albany, NY, November 5, 2011 – The Connecticut Whale defeated the Albany Devils, 3-2, in a shootout Saturday night at the Times-Union Center in Albany. Jonathan Audy-Marchessault netted a goal and an assist for Connecticut, and Brendan Bell recorded the shootout winner.

CT WhaleAudy-Marchessault opened the scoring for the Whale at 2:11 of the first, taking a pass from defenseman Wade Redden before putting his fifth goal of the season past Devils’ goaltender Jeff Frazee (26 saves) on the power-play. Andreas Thuresson also assisted on the play.

The Whale penalty-kill was a perfect two-for-two in the first, killing-off an important stretch that saw the Devils receive a brief five-on-three advantage.

Albany tied the score at 6:45 of the second, as a dump-in bounced off the Whale end boards as Connecticut goaltender Cam Talbot (18 saves) was attempting to play the bounce. A bizarre carom put the puck in front of the net for Mike Sislo, who easily scored his fourth goal of the season. Alexander Urbom and Jay Leach were each awarded assists on the play.

Connecticut regained the lead at 13:17 of the second, as Carl Hagelin’s goal put the Whale ahead 2-1. Redden earned his second of the assist of the night on the play, with Audy-Marchessault tallying his second point of the night with the secondary helper.

The Devils tied the game on the power-play at 12:16 of the third period, as a deflection off a Whale defender found its way to the stick of Joe Whitney. Whitney’s shot went up and over Talbot for the equalizer, forcing the overtime period.

“Nighty [Jared Nightingale] blocked the shot, it went off his skate and right to Whitney. He walked right into that one,” said Talbot.

Despite a few close chances in overtime, neither team could convert, and for the second time this season, the Whale and Devils went to a shootout in Albany.

Mats Zuccarello and Bell both scored in the shootout for Connecticut, and the Devils’ Matt Taormina hit the post in Albany’s last attempt to seal the tie-breaker for the Whale.

“I would have liked to have won it in regulation without that [second period] goal,” said Talbot. “Two bad bounces tonight, sometimes that’s the way it goes. But the guys battled back and we got the two points.”

The Whale will be off for a week now before heading to St. John’s, Newfoundland for a pair of games with the Atlantic Division-leading IceCaps. Connecticut and St. John’s will meet on Saturday at 6:00PM EST, and then again Sunday at 2:30PM EST.

To continue reading, click on the read more button below if you’re on the home page.

Connecticut Whale 3 (SO) at Albany Devils 2
Saturday, November 5, 2011 – Times Union Center

Connecticut 1 1 0 0 – 3
Albany 0 1 1 0 – 2

1st Period-1, Connecticut, Audy-Marchessault 5 (Redden, Thuresson), 2:11 (PP). Penalties-Zalewski Alb (high-sticking), 0:19; Bickel Ct (unsportsmanlike conduct, fighting), 8:25; Corrente Alb (fighting), 8:25; Erixon Ct (hooking), 10:05.

2nd Period-2, Albany, Sislo 4 (Whitney, Urbom), 6:45. 3, Connecticut, Hagelin 4 (Redden, Audy-Marchessault), 13:17. Penalties-Corrente Alb (roughing), 8:45; Taormina Alb (delay of game), 10:57.

3rd Period-4, Albany, Whitney 5 (Harrold), 12:16 (PP). Penalties-Owens Ct (roughing), 3:10; Kelly Alb (unsportsmanlike conduct, cross-checking, misconduct – unsportsmanlike conduct), 3:10; Nagy Alb (misconduct – unsportsmanlike conduct), 3:10; Erixon Ct (interference), 4:10; Valentenko Ct (roughing), 9:05; Newbury Ct (high-sticking, fighting), 11:13; Zajac Alb (fighting), 11:13.

OT Period- No Scoring. Penalties-No Penalties

Shootout – Connecticut 2 (Zuccarello G, Thuresson NG, Mitchell NG, Bell G, Audy-Marchessault NG), Albany 1 (Sislo NG, Whitney NG, Wiseman NG, Anderson G, Taormina NG).
Shots on Goal-Connecticut 9-8-9-2-1-29. Albany 6-7-6-1-0-20.
Power Play Opportunities-Connecticut 1 / 4; Albany 1 / 5.
Goalies-Connecticut, Talbot 4-2-0 (20 shots-18 saves). Albany, Frazee 2-4-1 (28 shots-26 saves).
Referees-Terry Koharski (10), Keith Kaval (40).
Linesmen-Jim Harper (59), Frank Murphy (29).